Contract Position Available at the Consulate General of Japan in Boston
The Consulate General of Japan in Boston has an opening for a Public Outreach and Cultural Affairs Specialist. This is a full-time hourly paid position (no benefits) which is scheduled to last until the end of March, 2016.
Public Outreach and Cultural Affairs Specialist supports the Consulate’s relations with media, community and cultural and exchange organizations, serves as an information resource to the public and is the office’s primary website editor. The ideal candidate possesses knowledge of Japanese culture, has experience interacting with a wide variety of organizations and the public, and is familiar with website management.
- Engage with media, community and cultural organizations on a variety of issues, and assist with maintaining good relations between these groups and the Consulate.
- Interface on behalf of the Consulate with Sister City/State organizations, Japan Societies and other exchange groups in New England.
- Prepare information for many different audiences by generating and editing press releases, web content and other materials.
- Maintain the Consulate’s website and Social Media activities, including content editing.
- Coordinate Consulate events, and collaborate with outside organizations on events that the Consulate is involved with.
- Provide administrative and any other support necessary to help fulfill the Consulate’s role in promoting Japanese culture and ties in the region.
- Assist other Consulate staff with team projects, events and mass distributions
- Other duties as required.
We need someone who:
- Is fluent in English preferably with a good command of the Japanese language and is knowledgeable about Japanese culture.
- Possesses a bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Is experienced with website management and content generation. HTML skills a plus.
- Has a good understanding of Social Media applications.
- Has strong planning, multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Has event planning experience and excellent customer service skills.
- Is able to function successfully in a Japanese office environment, consistently delivering high-quality work to meet various demands.
- Is a reliable team member dedicated to the success of the organization.
- Is eligible for employment in the U.S.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as attachments to:
Infocul [at] bz [dot] mofa [dot] go [dot] jp
Deadline: June 1, 2015
No telephone calls, please.