Job: Program Coordinator (Cultural Diplomacy)
Japan Information and Culture Center at the Consulate General of Japan in Los Angeles
About the Job
The Japan Information and Culture Center at the Consulate General of Japan in Los Angeles seeks to fill a Program Coordinator position to advance its cultural diplomacy objectives. The ideal candidate should have a firm understanding of Japanese culture and society, as well as Japan’s foreign policies. The candidate should have strong communication skills, an event organizing background and outreach capabilities including the use of social media. The candidate must be able to function as a team player in a Japanese bureaucracy and understand the role of the Japanese Consulate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in the planning and execution of Consulate-sponsored events
- Responding to inquiries from the public pertaining to Japan
- Effectively disseminating informational materials
- Coordinating with public and non-profit institutions in our outreach efforts
- Administrative duties and other requirements within the Consulate
- Reports to the Director of the Japan Information and Culture Center
- Additional tasks outside of the job description may be required.
- Work authorization in the U.S (no visa support)
- A Bachelor’s degree with minimum 2-3 years in an office setting
- Some working experience in either Japan or in a Japanese speaking environment
- Good knowledge of interest in Japanese culture
- Former JET Program participants welcomed
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy: knowledge of social media
- Fluency in Japanese acquired through formal education preferred
Send cover letter, resume, and a short essay submitted in an MS Word file format. The essay should be 12-point font, double-spaced and no more than 400 words on the following topic: name a strength you possess and how that can benefit the Consulate General of Japan. Please send via email to info [at] ls.mofa.go.jp with subject line “Program Coordinator Position” by Friday, Nov. 6.
Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. We cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.