Job Title: Resident Assistant (RA)
Immediate Supervisor: Resident Services Manager
This is a live-in position in a women’s dorm mentoring and supporting predominately female,
Japanese study-abroad students at an academic-residential campus. Provide diverse, individual, and
group learning opportunities for predominately female students to communicate in English and
become more familiar with American culture. This position is a non-paid, residential, part-time
position, with most work hours occurring on evenings and/or weekends. Full room and board and
use of facilities are provided in exchange for services.
Design and implement intercultural activities and programs on and off-campus, at least once
- Perform weekday/weekend overnight RA duty approximately 2-3 times monthly and holiday
duty as needed.
- Be available every Monday evening from 7:00pm to 10:00pm for mandatory RA team
meetings, Co-RA meetings, and student leader meetings.
- Chaperone on and off-campus Student Services activities and trips as needed.
- Help prepare for and facilitate student move-in and move-out, including attendance at
- Help create a safe, welcoming residential environment for our students; offer advice and
support when needed, for personal and/or academic questions or concerns.
- Actively engage in informal, daily interaction with students on campus.
- Report student welfare concerns to Student Services staff.
- Submit monthly reports to Resident Services Manager.
- Participate in all in-service training activities and meetings.
RAs work an average of 10-14 hours per week, predominantly evenings and weekends, in exchange
for private room with a private bath (located in a women’s dorm), full meal plan, use of campus
facilities (including pool, Jacuzzi, and computer lab), free parking, wireless internet, discounted
Japanese lessons on campus, and free shuttle bus (pick up and drop off at Reservoir T stop).
- An appreciation of cultural differences and the ability to work closely and successfully with
- Ability to respond to emergencies calmly and effectively; displaying critical thinking skills.
- Experience dealing with conflict and the ability to maintain a sense of humor.
- Self-motivated; able to initiate interactions with individuals or groups.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others and exercise good judgment in appraising situations.
- Maintain effective, positive working relationships other team members.
- Previous RA experience, study abroad experience, or experience with/appreciation of
Japanese culture preferred.
Interested applicants should submit an electronic resume and cover letter to: email@example.com